Email Marketing Success
As I looked through my collective screenshots of possible “Listen of the Week” podcasts, I realized that I subscribe to a lot of different marketing podcasts, but not many talking about e-mail marketing. Spoilers: I don’t always find the “Listen of the Week” prior to posting a blog. I listen to my typical podcasts and when I find an episode I like, I take a phone screenshot and put it in a folder on my Google Drive. When the time comes, I go through the folder and find a good episode.
In this case, I went through each file and couldn’t find another good podcast on e-mail marketing. I could have sworn I captured at least three or four over the last few months, but I guess I was wrong. Much like last week, I went searching on Apple Podcasts.
What is in my criteria for sampling a podcast?
- Date of release – I’m sorry, but your 2014 podcast might not do me any good
- Length or duration – I love a 3-hour podcast on the career of Bret “The Hitman” Hart but not when it comes to marketing.
- Topic of Relevance – I am just searching for a single episode so the topic does matter (some might put this to the top of their list).
- Cover Art – Try not to look like a project I made in MS Paint.
I came across a podcast with a very long name but hit the majority of my requirements.
The Premise of The Smart Passive Income Online Business and Blogging Podcast
What was at the top of my search results?
Episode 406: The 7 DOs and DONTs of Email Marketing Success
- It was fresh – released on 1/15/2020
- It was 42:18 – which means I can hammer it out in 20 minutes at 2x
- The topic – of course, I want to review a list of successful traits.
- Cover Art – Looks good to me.
What’s the Whole Podcast About?
The host is a guy by the name of Pat Flynn. He has released over 400 episodes of this podcast – so I think he knows a thing or two. He was super engaging and personable (in the episode I sampled).
I went over to SmartPassiveIncome.com to learn more about Pat. I was then redirected to his personal page.
Pat Flynn is a beloved thought leader in the areas of online entrepreneurship, digital marketing, and lifestyle businesses. He overcame career adversity at an early age by finding his own path and true passion. Despite his success in business, Pat’s greatest joys are spending time with his family and friends as well as helping inspire and educate others on how to succeed with their own entrepreneurial careers.About Pat on PatFlynn.com
It appears he hosts a few podcasts. The one I sampled goes like this:
Weekly interviews, strategy, and advice for building your online business the smart way.
Sounds good to me.
Why Did I Pick a Podcast about Email Marketing Success?
Email marketing can be so complex. It also can be relatively simple. What do I even mean by these two sentences?
Email Marketing – the simple version.
- Go to MailChimp, Constant Contact, or some other form of online email marketing software.
- Sign up and fill out basic information.
- Create a simple template.
- Send Emails.
Email Marketing – the complex version.
- Research the hundreds of email marketing software or platforms.
- Create a pros/cons list for each of the many platforms.
- Sign up for trials and test out to find your favorite email marketing platform.
- Finalize your selection. Cancel all other platforms so you don’t get charged reoccurring fees.
- Customize your information on your selected email marketing platform. Make sure you upload your logo, custom graphics, etc…
- Plan out how you want to capture your audience and what information you want to ask for – emails, names, addresses, birthdays, frequency, etc…
- and so on…
- another crucial step…
- even more steps…
- 30 steps later.
- Send your first email.
Yes, I thought there would be a nice place in-between. This podcast can help.
In general, Pat breaks it down to seven things to do and seven things not to do. You will have to listen for the details, but here is a sneak peek:
- Send more emails
- What to do with the Subject Line
- Lead Magnets
- Resend to Unopens
- Tag and Segment
- Automated Campaigns
- Purge your List
If you want to hear it really quickly, skip around to minute 36 and he will give you the overview – but you should just listen to the whole podcast.
The Podcast: The 7 DOs and DONTs of Email Marketing Success
Enjoy this podcast. I think I am going to give him a few more samples and maybe even give him a follow.